21 May 2011

Korea

I love Korea: the culture, the history, the women and yes the toilets.

Before we go down under let's talk Korean food.  I did not fall in love with it and that bummed me out.  i wanted to love all food Korean but found myself desiring some bugolgi and rice.  I was overwhelmed by Korean food, all the sides/condiments, all the various kim chees and fishy soups with everything and as I think on the two Korean BBQ meals honestly I got meat poisoning.  I guess I'm too much of meat and rice kind of a guy.  i do like that hot chili paste that you mix in with the rice. yummers.

Korea has a lot of US influences and it feels homier than all the other Asian cities I have been to which made me feel at ease.  People get upset by the spread of US influences.  i don't.  i like it.   If for one second you think that a Burger King will ruin a country's cuisine well you are fooling yourself.  Look, it's like all cultures.  You might grow up on the Golden Arches but as you become older you crave the food of your parents you seek authenticism and boom there is an explosion of roots cuisine.
Also, there is a Paris Baguette on every block and they really don't serve french baked goods.  My life for a real baguette!

I went to the DMZ and I was honest to God scared.  the tension between the two sides is palpable.  They told us the story of the Axe incident.  It is horrifying.  I don't want to retell that story because it is upsetting and barbaric.  The Korean War was always the "Lost War" but I can say the repercussions are very real and the balance is fragile.  Imagine if all the Canadians hated and wanted to overtake us and at the helm was a crazy lunatic who has nuclear weapons, an army 4 times as big and is friends with everyone who hates you.

I love the toilets.  I like the wash function.  I feel cleaner and refreshed after.  Plus it cuts down on tree killing.  I can do without the seat warmer.  How does the spray hit the right spot?

I know why Browser blogs about cute Asian woman, because they are spectacular.

1 comment:

SoNSo1 said...

You should've come back with a bride! (at least one for me!)