15 October 2011

50/50 cancers impact

The movie was well done. A guy with cancer and him dealing with it. Anna Hendricks and Joseph Gordon Levitt were excellent and Seth Rogen was surprising. Bryce Dallas Howard was also very good.

Some critics were upset with the movie because they said it was making fun of cancer. I thought the opposite. It was a movie about cancer and it hit on all the topics associated with a possibly fatal disease especially crazy family, friends and lovers.

When my dad had cancer. It was all surreal to me. There is a scene when JGL hears he has cancer and everything drowns out. That hit home.
I remember the doctor saying my dads cancer had metastasized. I knew what it meant but I still had to ask the doctor and my mom what it meant. Why would I ask my mom when she was hearing her husband was going to die. What an asshole only thinking about myself. I should have focused on mom and dad. This movie covers some of these aspect of cancer.

This movie was tough. It did make me realize/finally accept that when my dad was sick I was not the best son. And for the 11 years since I have not let myself forget it. I remember ignoring the prognosis and coming up from work telling him it will be okay. But it wasn't he was dying and I was too busy "working" to address it. I hate myself for that. I should have spent more time with him. Every once and awhile I'd help but most of the work was done by my brothers and my mom.

I know I can't relive the past. I shouldn't dwell but I regret not saying and doing more. This movie brought all that out.

No comments: