12 March 2012

One Dinner Eater One: Raku

One Dinner-Eater One also known as OD-EO is an eating experiment; eating by myself in restaurants at dinner.  I can eat alone for lunch anytime, and grabbing a bite at Chipotle for dinner doesn't count.  I mean dinner at dinner hour alone.

Raku is a pan asian eater in Bethesda, Maryland.  Raku is always packed.

I thought it was going to be weird, eating alone, but I saddled up to the bar and in a few minutes i noticed that im not the only single diner.  In fact the woman next to me saw me struggling over the menu and suggested the pork and chicken dumplings.  We talked for a bit.  She works and lives in Bethesda and her gym is there.  She goes to Raku once or twice a week, usually gets two appetizers and calls that dinner.  I find that to be a fascinating way too dine.  Honestly im not too interested in eating a full meal,  I want little bits of everything.  She said she always has the dumplings and varies the second choice between an app or the curry noodle soup.  I had sushi: hamachi, tamago, some mid-grade toro and a Volcano roll.  It was good and surprising prepared well.  The small talk came to an end and we went back to trying to connect with people through our phones.  She was alternating between Facebook and Twitter as was I.

The bartender/server talked to me for a bit.  What do I do?  Work on the Hill, its crazy but isn't everyone's life crazy.  He then asked me what I thought of Raku.  I have been a couple of times mainly for the curry noodle soup but I also went one day for some curry katsu which was a bit disappointing.  We talked I asked him if it is always busy and he said yes.  He said they have good affordable food.

A couple sat down next to me and ordered a smattering of apps.  They ordered ssam, i looked at them, and judged that they were not that worldy and Id probably have to help them.  There food came out with leaves of lettuce and i showed them how to eat their beef and lettuce wraps.  i didn't make one and eat it I just instructed.  I think the dude was annoyed but they were struggling.

After that I went back to twittering.  As I was eating my way through dinner.  I dont feel alone which was nice.  But this is a familiar scene with what seems to be a built in lonely eater culture.

What I learned:
Its easy to talk to single eaters.  What do you recommend or wow that looks good breaks the ice.

Even if you try to stay absorbed in facebook people will interupt.  I don't think this would happen if I had a paper but I think reading the paper would be a wall both socially and physically.

I like to eat sushi with my hands.

Always say good bye to people you talked to thats just manners.

I struggled to order because i wanted to make sure i ordered something cool and not weird.  Does that make sense?  I dont want other single diners to be offended.

I dont want to take up a table so i sit at the bar is that really eating alone?

I feel bad for telling the couple how to eat their food, I think it was a snobby move.

Next Up:
What to try next?  Maybe a lonely brunch? sans paper.

No comments: